The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

Is a Film Major Necessary for Success in the Industry

Image Credit: Matthew OHalloran
Image Credit: Matthew O’Halloran

Film is considered to not be the most practical college major out there, mostly due to the fact that you don’t need a film degree to be a successful filmmaker. Many of the most famous filmmakers in the world hadn’t attended film school before they made their breakthrough onto the scene such as Christopher Nolan, J.J Abrams, Steven Spielberg, etc. That being said, there are and are going to be way more people in the industry who have attended film school just due to the fact that they will already have some of that experience and exposure. So, what are the pros and cons of attending film school? Is it difficult? Is it worth it?

One of the biggest reasons some people don’t go to film school is because of how difficult it can be to get into the top film programs around the country. The top film programs are at some of the most difficult public and private schools to get into like USC, NYU, UCLA, and Boston University. Getting into these programs is very competitive. Some students applying already have short films in festivals and have even won awards at film festivals, which makes it more difficult for the average student aspiring to study film to get into a great program. Even if they do get in, the cost of tuition at these schools is extremely high, and it could be discouraging for students to spend their money on an education in a tough industry.

Although it can be difficult to get into a good film program, that hasn’t stopped anyone from breaking into the industry; some of the most successful directors were unable to get into film school. Steven Spielberg, arguably the best filmmaker of all time, was unable to get into film school until much later in his life after he had a lot of success. Christopher Nolan, one of the most creative directors, was also unable to attend film school. He has said that being unable to study film and having to study English in college greatly affected his creativity and the way he makes his movies. Some believe that filmmakers who didn’t attend film school are more creative and think outside the box.

That being said, a great number of filmmakers have talked highly of how film school was a great experience. Famed directors George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola talk very highly about their experiences at USC and UCLA respectively. Attending film school also has the benefit of being able to get young filmmakers into the industry much easier than independent filmmakers.

Although film school may not be necessary to become a filmmaker, its benefits make it a really good option for aspiring filmmakers. The experience and exposure one can gain from a good film program will help any filmmaker young or old.