The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

Reviewing (Probably Obscure) Kids Shows: Octonauts

Image Credit: Hoopla
Image Credit: Hoopla

Do you want to learn about marine biology? Do you want to learn about it with a bunch of cartoon-talking animals? Do you have a younger sibling who wants to learn about marine biology with a bunch of cartoon-talking animals? If you somehow answered all those questions with yes, I have just the show for you! Even if you didn’t, Octonauts is a pretty interesting show. Octonauts was created as a book series by the team Meomi, also known as Vicki Wong & Michael C. Murphy, and then turned into a TV show produced by Silvergate Media. Octonauts is an animated show following a team of human-like animals who explore and live underwater. They live in a mobile base called the Octopod and have a fleet of underwater vehicles to help explore the ocean. 

Episodes usually focus on learning about sea animals, having the Octonauts help them in some way. There is something called an Octo-Alert in every episode which is pressed when a problem is found and they need everyone to meet up. The Octonauts include eight main members. There is Captain Barnacles Bear who is the captain of the Octonauts as stated by his name, Kwazii Kitten who is an orange daredevil and has a pirate theme, Peso Penguin who is the medic and is brave in the right situations, and Dashi Dog who is the photographer and oversees operations and the launch bay. There is also Shellington Sea Otter, the scientist who does field work and works in his lab, Tweak Bunny, the engineer who maintains the Octopod and vehicles, Professor Inkling Octopus who is a brilliant oceanographer who founded the Octonauts, and Tunip the Vegimal who is a fictional animal that is part animal and part vegetable who along with many other Vegimals assist the Octonauts. This cast of eight works pretty well with each other and their interactions are fun to watch. 

Octonauts is an interesting show. It continues as of 2023 and is a great show for younger children to learn about sea life. You can find episodes on YouTube if you want to check them out or show them to a younger sibling. There is also a spin-off called Octonauts: Above & Beyond which is a lot more land-based but is still something that should be known about. If you want to learn about or have a younger sibling learn about life under the ocean, then give this show a watch!