The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

A Guide to the College Application Process

Image Credit: The Pandemic and College Applications (https://sites.imsa.edu/acronym/2020/10/06/the-pandemic-and-college-applications/)

The college application process can be intimidating and unfamiliar for many incoming seniors. As a student who’s been through the process over the past year, I want to share some things that I think will make it easier! 

First, make sure to make a list of all the things you’re looking for in a school (ex. Low tuition, Location, Majors, etc). This way, you know exactly what you should consider when you’re applying to a school. 

Additionally, make a list of all the possible schools that you’re interested in. Pick schools that YOU would like to go to. Remember: you’ll be spending the next 4 years of your life here, so make sure to pick schools that you’re genuinely interested in! Within your college list, have a good amount of safety and target schools. A safety school typically has a high acceptance rate (ex. 70%) and also a place where your credentials exceed the school’s standards. A target school is a school where your credentials fall within the schools range. To know which schools are your safety and target schools, make sure to research the credentials of the recent admitted class.

Once you have a list of schools, make sure to research and keep track of the schools’ application deadlines and the application requirements. You can use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the information! 

Next, make sure to have a general idea of what you want to write your essay(s) about. It’ll be easier to start your essay(s) during the summer to have a sufficient amount of time to brainstorm, draft, and edit your essay(s) at your own convenience without having to worry about school! Remember that most schools also require supplemental essays!

Additionally, make sure to fill out the Common Application when it opens. The Common App typically opens on August 1st, and shouldn’t take more than an hour to complete. This way, it’ll be ready to go when you’re working on the college specific application.