Helping the Community

Here are some great ways to get community service hours or get involved with the community!

Malavika Santhosh, Reporter

Helping out the community puts a smile on everyone’s face. Image courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.

Are you in need of more community service hours? Do you have some extra time on your hands? Want to be a more active member of your community? If you do, you came to the right place! Helping out in the community is a great idea and there are some ways you can help out right here, in Bothell:

• The City of Bothell Human Resources department needs lots of volunteers, from helping remove invasive plants to office work. Check out the opportunities they offer at www.ci.bothell.wa.us/265/Volunteers

• Threads and Treads(supported by the Canyon Park Middle school PTSA), our local clothing donation center, needs both volunteers and donations. Volunteer hours go from 9:30-11:30 am and 3:00-6:00 pm on Wednesdays. Threads and Treads is located on Canyon Park Middle School’s campus.

• Canyon Hills Community Church has a food bank of their own. Check out their website, www.canyonhillscommunitychurch.com/foodbank/, for their volunteer application process. They also need both food and personal care item donations.

• Hope Creek Charitable Foundation has various opportunities, including helping out at a nursing home, “Backpacks of Hope” program, and even their “Community Care Garden.” Go to their website, www.hopecreekcf.org, to sign up for these events.

• Lynwood Foodbank has great volunteer opportunities. They have options on Monday, Tuesday(7-11 am), Wednesday(6am-7pm), and the first/third of Thursday of each month(8-11 am). Go to their website, http://www.lynnwoodfoodbank.org/, to fill out their applications for volunteers.

Be a junior Red Cross member. You can apply online at www.redcross.org, where you can then sign up help out at various events, though you have to be 14 years old or older. You can teach younger kids, help with smoke alarm installations, help onboard new volunteers and even join a nearby Red Cross Club.