The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

The voice of the students

The Catamount

Books That Are Banned But Should Be Brought Back – Poll

Image Credit: UC San Diego, Banned Books | Exhibit (https://library.ucsd.edu/news-events/events/banned-books-exhibit/)

Here is a link to the survey. It’s on Google Forms. The Google Form is about asking questions on banned books that students think should be bought back.

Here are the results I’ve gotten so far:

Bar chart results of books students have read before, with six responses: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, five people 83.3%, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood two votes 33.3%, 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Color Purple by Alice Walker, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey one person each, 16.7%, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain with three votes each, 50%.

Bar chart results of books students think should be unbanned, with six responses: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, four people 66.7%, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, three votes 50%, 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Color Purple by Alice Walker, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey two people each, 33.3%.

Choose one of the books you think should be brought back and tell us why you think it should be allowed:

• Fahrenheit 451: it’s a great example of why books shouldn’t be banned. Society becomes this collapsed totalitarian system that burns books at the sight of them! It’s a great read that has a really powerful message!
  • I just don’t believe that any book should be banned in any situation. Librarians can use their own discretion to choose age appropriate content and parents can regulate what their OWN children read. I don’t have any strong feelings toward the books above that I’ve read. I just don’t think a book should ever be banned.
  • Every one of the books serves its own literary purpose; however, the “The Color Purple” by Alice Walker is an engaging text that sublimely showcases struggles most modern Americans have never had to face. It’s an artifact of America’s dark history, and lest we repeat such history, we need to read this and many other perspectives, regardless of how “guilty” it might make us feel.

If you could meet the author(s) of the book you chose, what is ONE question you would ask them? (You can ask one question per author):

• Ray Bradbury: how do you pump out such amazing works?
  • I don’t really have strong feelings about any of those books. I guess I would ask Margaret Atwood if she thinks the world today is closer to her dystopia than the world she wrote it in.
  • What inspired your story?