Favorite K-Dramas

Image+Credit%3A+Amanda+Sim+

Image Credit: Amanda Sim

Amanda’s Favorite 

Reply 1988

Reply 1988 follows five different families who are living in the same neighborhood in Seoul. The show is based in the 1980’s-1990’s (hence, the name Reply 1988) and follows the journey of the individual families through the kids’ journey with friendship and relationships as they grow up together and support each other through their struggles with identity, family and relationships. I tend to like dramas that are more based on the past or friendships, hence why I was drawn to it. I like the nostalgic feeling and friendships between all of them. 

The Glory

The Glory is a revenge kdrama about a high school student who is a victim of high school bullying and violence by her fellow peers, causing her to drop out of high school. 17 years later, she becomes a elementary school teacher and plans revenge on her bullies. I really enjoyed this drama and I’m looking forward to season 2. 

Flower of Evil

Flower of Evil revolves around a married couple with the image of a “perfect” family, however there’s a secret with Hee-sung (the husband) as he is hiding a stolen identity to cover up his shameful past, especially from his wife, who is a local detective. I really enjoyed the character development with Hee-sung in this drama and how the family faced the ups and downs in their relationship. 

Our Beloved Summer

Our Beloved Summer is about two polar opposites, Kook Yeon-soo, a model student at the top of her grade, and Choi Woong, a slacker who placed last in his grade. The two meet through filming a documentary together and later form a romantic relationship only to break up later on. Years later, when Choi Woong is a successful artist and Kook Yeon-soo works as a Public Relations expert, the two renuite to film a continuation of the documentary. As they spend more time together, they realize that they still have feelings for each other and solve their misunderstandings from their past. I really enjoyed the story line of the drama and the OST (Original Sound Track) is my favorite.

The Sound of Magic 

The Sound of Magic follows along Yoon Ah-yi, a poor school student who doesn’t have a dream, and II-deung, who is forced into a being a doctor in which he has no passion for by his strict parents. Once day, Yoon Ah-yi and Il-deung encounter a mysterious man, who happens to be a magician. Both Yoon Ah-yi and Il-deung find escape from reality as they learn about magic and grow their friendship. I enjoyed the fun and innocent vibe from this drama so if you are looking for something that’s fun and light-hearted I definitely recommend you watch it. 

Jerri’s Favorite 

Happiness

A couple moves into a new apartment complex but soon find themselves trapped in when zombies infect their neighbors. With nowhere to go, they struggle to survive and find people they can trust. What’s great about this show is that it is only 12 episodes long, and the main characters are good at protecting themselves. 

A Business Proposal

The main character goes on a blind date in place of her best friend with the intent to disgust and drive her date away. But her date ends up being the CEO of her company who has no intent to stop seeing her. In this romantic comedy, the main character must drive the CEO away while also keeping her real identity hidden. The show is cliche but is still very entertaining.

Extraordinary You 

The main character discovers she exists in a comic world as a side character. She becomes sick of being a supporting character in someone else’s life and tries to change her fate. It has a complicated plot but once you understand the premise, it’s funny and entertaining. 

Hymn of Death 

This show is a tragic love story that takes place during the Japanese colonization of Korea. It’s only 3 episodes long but beautifully portrays a devastating relationship that was doomed from the start. Even though the end is foreshadowed from the very beginning, the emotional damage somehow worsens as you watch. But I definitely recommend it if you want to cry and don’t want to spend hours watching a full length show. 

True Beauty 

When the main character was in middle school, she was constantly bullied for being “ugly”. But when she enters high school, she wears makeup to hide her insecurities and soon becomes friends with many of her classmates. The show portrays her journey to self acceptance while also being humorous. Although I did not like the love interest she ended up with, it was fun to watch.