What you need to know about the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Jesus Sanchez Cruz, Reporter

Hello Bothell Students! We’re nearing the release date of PS5 and Xbox series x/s! I’ll tell you what you need to know about these next gen consoles.  

The PS5 is set to release on November 12, 2020. Let’s start with the base of the PS5. The console design is an “interesting” look; it has white shell around the whole console and it’s curved on the top. 

Concerning the infamous fan noise, “The PS5 is “exceptionally quiet”, according to a number of reporters who were able to experience a hands-on preview with the console in Japan this weekend via GamesRader. 

A cool feature to the PS5 controller is that it has an inbuilt mic in the controller that may save a lot of money on game mics Via Playstation. PS4 controllers will work on PS5 but a downside is that it will only work on PS4 games Via Playstation. 

The PS5 has a nice lineup of exclusives. The first exclusive launching with the PS5 is “Spider-Man Miles Morales” a new adventure game in the Spider-Man verse in which teenager Miles Morales follows his mentor Peter Parker and when evil threatens to destroy his new home, he realizes he must protect it Via Playstation. Set to release on PS5 and PS4, it’s a very interesting game and I’m looking forward to playing it!  

Another big exclusive on the PS5 is God of War Ragnarok, the sequel to the God of war starting with Kratos and his son Atreus. 

The price of the PS5 is $499.99 and the digital version is $399.99, Via Playstation.

The Xbox series X/S is set to release on November 10, 2020. Let’s start with the design of the console, a simple rectangle body design with a top vent. The new controller looks about the same as the XB1 controller, however, the Series X controller has added a new option: the share button! 

Xbox has added a faster way to share your game clips and gameplays with friends or the media: the share button is located on the middle button on the controller, the d’pad was reshaped for younger audiences and older ones by having it being connected to one another. 

Xbox has announced a cheaper next gen console Xbox Series S. Although it is weaker than the Xbox Series X and PS5, the price is $300! Via Xbox. A very great price for a new gen console. 

The Series S can go up to 120 FPS and also added a quick resume feature that Xbox has added for new gen Xbox where you can resume your game where you left off in a matter of seconds Via Xbox. Awesome, right?! The design of the Xbox series S is similar to Xbox one s with the white base only that the Xbox series S does not have a disc drive it’s a digital console. The controller is the same as the XSX Via Xbox.

Let’s take a look at the exclusives for Xbox: Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II, an exclusive to Xbox and PC, and the sequel to Hellblade. Not much has been said about the game but a trailer was released a while back in 2019. I thought the trailer looked great, and the facial movements looked real. If I’m being honest, it didn’t really look much different than real life. I’m looking forward to playing it as the first one was a very underrated game. 

Another exclusive is Forza Motorsport. It was announced by an Xbox Gameshow as a cinematic trailer. The trailer looked awesome. Forza is one of my favorite racing games and I’m looking forward to playing it in 4k, not to mention 60fps. 

That wraps up the Xbox and PS recap. Which one are you going to get this year?