Celestial events and stars

Inspiration throughout the history of mankind.

Cody Winkelman, Co-Sports Editor

Celestial events have played a big role in the past of the human race. The stars have guided humans over vast oceans, and many myths and stories have arisen throughout generations about various constellations and what they mean.

One event pertaining to this time of year is the Star of Bethlehem, or the Christmas star. This “star” that appeared around the birth of Christ guided the three wise men to the city of Bethlehem, according to the book of Luke.

Many Christians believe this star was a miracle signifying Christ’s birth. Theologians claim that the star filled a ancient prophecy. Astronomers have tried to justify this occurrence as the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus, a comet, or a supernova.

The three wise men were not the only people to navigate using the cosmos. South Pacific wayfinders studied and used the stars to travel across the Pacific Ocean.

Derek Rodriguez (‘20) is a student here at Bothell High School who enjoys looking at the starry night and is fascinated by these celestial bodies. Many people like Rodriguez draw inspiration from the night sky.

According to the Society for Popular Astronomy, there will be two meteor showers in the coming weeks. If the weather will allow, you can go outside and see these events. The Ursids occur from December 17th to the 26th and are located between Ursa Minor and Ursa Major (the big/small dippers in the low northwestern sky) and peak overnight on the 21st with up to 15 meteors per hour.

They are followed by the Quadrantids which take place from January 1st to 6th. They peak around January 3rd at which there will be an estimated 80 meteors per hour which you can find between the constellations of Bootes and Draco (high in the northwestern sky).

Celestial bodies and events have proved to be inspiring and helpful to humans. In the words of Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson, “keep looking up.”