To sleep or not to sleep?

Are early school start times harmful?

Sanjana Chava, Feature Editor

With so many students staying up late and waking up early, it’s no wonder that many of them are unable to focus during their first class in the morning. With a later school time students could get the sleep they need; in fact, they could wake up a little early and study before school starts.

According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), not getting enough sleep can lead to many health problems and poor academic performance.

The  American Academy of Pediatrics asserts that high schools should start at 8:30 a.m. or later to ensure that students get enough sleep to be prepared for the day. Bothell High School is part of 93% of high schools in the nation that start earlier than 8:30 a.m.

High school students are recommended to get 8 to 10 hours of sleep everyday to support their growing bodies and to stay in good health; however, many students stay up working on homework or projects.

With a big test coming up the next day it makes sense to pull an all-nighter studying for it, however, that may actually worsen your performance on the test if you are not well rested.

If the start time of school was pushed to a later time, perhaps students can be more well-rested before they start their day. With later school start time, students of Bothell High School can improve their health and academics.